DID YOU KNOW?
- Compostable bioplastic foam trays can start to melt/warp at low temperatures (e.g., 105°F for some), making them very difficult to use — especially in warm climates.
- They should be shipped in refrigerated trucks and cannot be stored on a detached truck.
- They generally cannot be stacked above 15 feet (because warm air rises, causing melting/warping).
- They are not as eco-friendly as the name implies. They should be composted in an industrial composting facility (not the backyard) – and those are few and far between. If they are put into the recycling bin, they can contaminate the entire stream. Click here and here for more information.
- Because they are foamed, consumers think they are polystyrene and throw them in the trash.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!